An exciting opportunity to lead a growing charity with an historic community venue located in the heart of Canterbury.
Chief Executive Officer
|Salary:||In the region of £30K (negotiable)|
|Hours:||No less than 30 hours per week however hours are negotiable|
|Annual leave:||28 days including bank holidays (although you may be required to work some bank holidays and take time off in lieu)|
Westgate Community Trust was conceived in 2010 to offer an alternative to Canterbury City Council’s plans to demolish Westgate Hall as a cost cutting measure. In 2014 the Trust successfully managed a Community Asset Transfer of Westgate Hall from Canterbury City Council and agreement was made for a 99 year lease. The Trust is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status.
The Trust’s mission is to preserve, refurbish and manage Westgate Hall, the only independent community venue in the urban heart of Canterbury, Kent, as a financially self-sustaining community and leisure space. The Hall aims to serve the needs of the present and future residents of Canterbury and its districts, and, in the process, reinvigorate and strengthen community life.
Since re-opening in December 2014, just 100 years after it was built as a military drill hall, the Trust has managed the Hall’s transition to vibrant community space hosting events ranging from Weddings and Funerals, Election Counts and Blood Donations, Graduation Balls, Concerts, and a Community Market.
With the Trust in a healthy financial position, we are looking to appoint a Chief Executive Officer who has the vision and skills to build on this success and further the Trust’s mission.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will provide strong and clear management of Westgate Hall, developing and agreeing strategy in discussion with the Board. The CEO will implement agreed plans and be responsible for all aspects of the Hall’s operation. They will act as a strong figurehead for Westgate Hall making decisions and advancing the Hall as a community venue and in line with the Trust’s charitable aims. They will ensure the effectiveness and development of the Hall’s staff.
Objectives of the Role
- To deliver the vision and objectives of the Trust and develop plans and strategies alongside the board of directors
- To build the Trust’s position and brand as the centre of community activity in Canterbury
- To ensure that Westgate Hall is used for the benefit of the people of Canterbury and is a self-sufficient and sustainable community venue
- To ensure the Trust’s financial security, manage the charity effectively and meet agreed revenue targets
- To represent the Trust in its relationships with other community organisations, business, the City and County Councils, funders and Hall customers
- To direct and oversee the operations of Westgate Hall in line with the Board and clients’ requirements
- To enhance the image of Westgate Hall locally, regionally and nationally as a community venue.
The full job and person specification are available to download here
Applicants must complete the application form and return by the closing date no later than 5pm on the 28th April.
All applications should be sent to email@example.com.
CV’s and covering letters will not be accepted and will not be read if submitted as additional information.
Interviews will take place the week of 15th May.